Benefits for Volunteer Lawyers Project Participants
Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
- A free service providing a comprehensive collection of information on legal topics, upcoming events such as continuing legal education opportunities and a library of poverty law materials, pleadings, and resource materials.
To access www.probono.net/iowa, the website that has information and support for volunteers in Iowa, please do the following:
- Go to www.probono.net/iowa
- Select the "Civil Law" link (found on the upper left side of the screen)
- Click on "Join this Area." You'll be prompted to enter your email address, and press Continue. Fill out the information that follows and then click Finished.
- Your information will be reviewed and in 2-3 days you can expect to receive a notification regarding your access to www.probono.net/iowa
√ Staff attorney support
Staff attorneys experienced in specific areas of poverty law are available to provide technical assistance, research backup, and co-counseling.
- Volunteer intake attorneys receive co-counsel support from staff attorneys.
- To contact your co-counsel with any questions or concerns you can chat or call him/her
- Volunteer in-house attorneys can reach out to the managing or staff attorneys
√ Reduced fee legal education seminars
- Participating attorneys are eligible to attend accredited Project Sponsored continuing legal education seminars at a reduced rate
To receive information about continuing legal education seminars you can:
- Join probono.net/iowa
- Share your e-mail address on the VLP sign-up form
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure that the message is not caught by the Spam filter
√ Malpractice coverage
Malpractice coverage is provided to volunteer attorneys for all cases accepted.
Professional liability insurance coverage is provided to volunteers who provide services to clients on behalf of Iowa Legal Aid, through referral or in connection with their in-house volunteer services.