Most Iowa Legal Aid staff are salaried employees. The salary schedules are based on full time work and are pro rated for part time positions. The salaries paid to staff depend on their job classification and whether the position is covered by the union bargaining agreement.
For staff attorneys Iowa Legal Aid's entry-level salary for recent graduates just admitted to the Bar is $41,250. In addition to the salary, employees are provided a benefits package (listed below)which includes health and dental insurance plans for the employee and dependents, including same sex domestic partners. Full-time employees are not allowed to have an outside practice of law.
The following description of benefits is based on full time employment. Part-time employees may be entitled to many of these same benefits at a pro-rated rate.
There are many policies and requirements related to the various benefits. The information provided here is merely a summary of the benefits that are available.
- Health Insurance: Iowa Legal Aid provides health insurance coverage through Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Iowa. The plans comply with the affordability and value requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Currently the program offers your choice of two plans; Alliance Select or an Alliance Select High Deductible Plan. Employees who are covered by a spouse's insurance may receive an opt out payment in lieu of enrolling in one of the Iowa Legal Aid health plans.
- Prescription Drug Coverage: Prescription drug coverage is provided with the health insurance. The plan is three tiered with the copayment depending on whether the drug is generic, specially selected brand name or other brand name.
- Dental Insurance: Iowa Legal Aid provides dental insurance for employees from Delta Dental. Coverage is provided by Iowa Legal Aid for single and family coverage with no premium to the employee.
- Flexible Spending Account: Employees may, at their own expense, contribute to a flexible spending account to cover health and dependent related costs.
- Health Savings Account: Employees participating in the high deductible Alliance Select Plan may contribute on their own, pretax, to a health savings account.
- Group Term Life Insurance: Full time employees are provided $40,000 in term life insurance.
- Long Term Disability: Full time employees are provided coverage under a long term disability plan the provides coverage after a 180 day elimination period (the period when the employee is unable to perform the duties of their occupation due to disability).
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employees who have worked for Iowa Legal Aid for six months are enrolled in a 401(k) retirement plan administered through Mutual of America. Iowa Legal Aid contributes the equivalent of 4% of the employee's salary to the plan. Employees who contribute at least 2% from their own earnings receive an additional employer match of 2%. The plan has a four year vesting schedule.
- Professional Fees: Iowa Legal Aid pays the annual mandatory fees for attorneys and may pay for membership in the Iowa State Bar Association.
- Vacation Leave: Employees with less than five years of service receive 20 days of paid vacation annually. Employees between five years and ten years of service receive 24 days of paid vacation. Employees with ten or more years of service receive 30 days of paid vacation per year.
- Sick Leave: Full time employees accrue nine hours per month. There is no maximum limit on the amount of sick leave which may be accrued.
- Holidays: The following holidays are observed; New Years Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, The Day After Thanksgiving, The Day Before Christmas and Christmas Day.
- Personal Days: After six months of service, full-time employees are granted two personal days per calendar year.
- Other Benefits: Attorneys are provided with opportunities to participate in training to meet their 15 hour continuing legal education requirement. All staff may participate in twice annual Work Group Days, which provides training on a wide array of subjects. Staff are recognized for each five year increment in service.