Legal Information

Other Family Problems

16 Resource(s) Found

Child Abuse Reports

What you need to know about child abuse reports in Iowa.

Child Custody

In Iowa, if a couple (married or unmarried) has children in the family under the age of eighteen, the courts will play a role in making decisions related to child custody.

Child Custody and Visitation in Iowa

Iowa Legal Aid's printed booklet, "Child Custody and Visitation in Iowa," updated March 2024.

Custody Order for Parents with Open CINA Cases

Parents involved in open Child in Need of Assistance (CINA) cases have a way to get a court to order permanent custody, physical care, and visitation.

Fathers' Rights in Unmarried Situations

If parents are not married at the time of a child's birth, a father's participation in making many important decisions may be limited until paternity is established.

Grandparent Visitation in Iowa

In Iowa, a grandparent can ask the court for visitation in limited circumstances.

How Social Media Can Be Used Against People in Family Law Cases

What people put on social media websites can end up being used in unexpected ways. Being aware of the potential risks can help you avoid adding content that could cause problems down the road.

How to Modify a Custody Order

Custody orders are issued by a court in which a judge establishes a schedule for separated parents to have parenting time with their children. This resource will discuss when and how a parent can change, or modify, a custody order.

International Parental Child Abduction

The Office of Children's Issues at the State Department assists in cases of international parental child abduction and is prepared to help pursue recovery of an abducted child.

Iowa Custody Law

What you need to know about custody in Iowa.

Limited Representation (Unbundled Legal Services)

Questions and answers about a different way lawyers can provide services to clients.

Passports and Child Custody

Information and Links to the form needed to apply for a passport for a child.

Paternity Affidavit

Information from DHS on paternity. The paternity affidavit is a free form parents complete and file with the Bureau of Health Statistics to legally establish paternity.

Resolving Family Law Problems Through Mediation

A divorce or custody action can take a long time. It can cost a lot of money and be very emotional and stressful for the family. Iowa courts have looked for other ways to resolve family law disputes.

Termination of Parental Rights

When you have "parental rights" to a child, you are that child's parent in the eyes of the law. When your parental rights to a child are terminated, you stop being that child's parent.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act

The UCCJEA says that an Iowa court can only make decisions about custody of a child if Iowa has jurisdiction over that child.

Back to top