Nursing Homes

Legal Information

Other Health Problems

9 Resource(s) Found
Filter By:

Assisted Living Program - Is This for Me?

Assisted living programs are found in a housing facility that also provides additional health-related care, personal care, and assistance with activities of daily living.

Do I Have to Sell or Liquidate All of My Assets to Qualify for Medicaid?

There are a number of different Medicaid programs that can assist elderly or disabled Iowans pay medical bills, home health care expenses and nursing home expenses. Most programs require that your total assets or "resources" be below certain levels in order to qualify.

Gifts and Qualifying for Medicaid for Nursing Home Care

Medicaid can help elderly or disabled Iowans pay nursing home and home health care expenses. To be eligible, your income and assets must be below certain levels. If you give away money or other assets to anyone other than your spouse, you may be ineligible for Medicaid. In addition, the state may seek to recover the assets you gave away.

Involuntary Transfers from Nursing Homes

Moving into a nursing home can be a traumatic event for many people. An involuntary transfer or discharge from the facility can cause the same amount of trauma. To reduce this trauma, both federal and state law limit involuntary transfers and involuntary discharges.

Medicaid Payment for Nursing Home Care

Many people rely on Medicaid, also known as Title 19, to pay for their nursing home care. People may generally receive Medicaid payment for their nursing home care if their income is $2,829 or less per month and their nonexempt resources are $2,000 or less.

Miller Trusts: Helping Pay for Nursing Home Care

Miller Trusts can resolve the problem facing people with too much income to get Medicaid, but not enough to pay for nursing home care. Miller Trusts can also be used to qualify for in-home assistance under the Medicaid Elderly Waiver program.

Payment Options for Nursing Home Care

When you need long-term care in a nursing home, the care will generally be paid through Medicare, private payment, long-term care insurance or Medicaid (also known as title 19). This information will address Medicare, private pay and long-term care insurance.

Repayment of Medicaid under Iowa's Estate Recovery Law

Iowa's Estate Recovery Law requires reimbursing the state from the estate of a person who received benefits under certain Medicaid (Title 19) programs.

Transfers and Discharges from Nursing Homes

An attempt to transfer or discharge a resident from a nursing home against his or her wishes can be upsetting and frightening for residents and family. Fortunately, there are federal and state laws that protect a resident.

Back to top