Medical Assistance

Legal Information

  • Appealing a Managed Care Organization (MCO) Decision

    Iowa Medicaid has switched to Managed Care. Almost everyone who has Medicaid in Iowa is now assigned to a Managed Care Organization. Managed Care Organizations are also called MCOs. Read More

    Iowa Legal Aid
  • Appealing decisions by the Iowa Department of Human Services

    If your application for Medicaid or other help through the Iowa Department of Human Services is denied or services reduced you can file an appeal. The Appeals Section provides an efficient way of ensuring that persons affected by the Department of Human Services' decisions have access to due process of the law. There is no fee or charge for filing an appeal. You may need to seek review of a decision through your managed care organization before filing an appeal with the Iowa Department of Human Services. Content Detail

    Iowa Department of Human Services
    Read this in:
    Spanish / Español
  • Applying for Affordable Health Insurance for Your Children

    This gives links and phone numbers to call to get low-cost or free health coverage for your child or teen. Content Detail

    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
    Read this in:
    Spanish / Español
  • Are Your Legal Affairs in Order?

    Putting your legal affairs in order is important for a number of reasons. Some of the more important issues that Iowans, and especially older Iowans, should consider involve powers of attorney, living wills, and estate and Medicaid planning. Read More

    Read this in:
    Bosnian / Bosanski
  • Changes in How Iowans Get Mental Health Services

    The question of who is going to pay for services for people with mental health, brain injury, mental retardation, and developmental disabilities is frustrating for many Iowans, especially disabled Iowans on fixed incomes. A new law changes how this is handled. Read More

  • Dealing With Medical Debt

    It is important to plan for medical expenses. Equally important is knowing how to deal with medical bills when you have no money to pay them. Read More

  • Getting Emergency Medical Care

    Hospitals must treat you - even if you don’t have insurance - when you have an emergency condition or are a woman in active labor. Hospitals must treat your medical emergency until you become stable. The hospital may bill you later, but it cannot turn you away from emergency care. Read More

  • Getting the Health Care Services You Need

    Has your insurance company, Medicare or Medicaid denied you help? You don't have to take no for an answer. Read More

  • Gifts and Qualifying for Medicaid for Nursing Home Care

    Medicaid can help elderly or disabled Iowans pay nursing home and home health care expenses. To be eligible, your income and assets must be below certain levels. If you give away money or other assets to anyone other than your spouse, you may be ineligible for Medicaid. In addition, the state may seek to recover the assets you gave away. Read More

  • Health care for active duty and retired members of the uniformed services

    This Web site explains the rules for TRICARE. This is health care for active duty and retired members of the uniformed services (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, or the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration), their families, and survivors. Content Detail

    U.S. Department of Defense
  • Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Programs

    Sometimes a person who requires health-related care and assistance with activities of daily living does not need or want to move out of his or her home. Medicaid may be able to provide help for persons with disabilities who can live at home with support. Read More

  • Indian Health Service

    The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives. Content Detail

    U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Indian Health Service
  • Medicaid Managed Care

    Right now, most people who receive Medicaid do not receive it through managed care. Instead, a medical provider signs a contract with Iowa Medicaid to be a Medicaid provider. Read More

    Iowa Legal Aid
  • Medicaid Payment for Nursing Home Care

    Many people rely on Medicaid, also known as Title 19, to pay for their nursing home care. People may generally receive Medicaid payment for their nursing home care if their income is $2,382 or less per month and their nonexempt resources are $2,000 or less. Read More

  • Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage for People Who Get Medicaid

    Medicare provides prescription drug coverage for people who are eligible for Medicare alone, and for those who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid. "Dual eligibles" are the group of Medicare eligibles who also qualify for Medicaid. Read More

    Read this in:
    Spanish / Español