Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
Summary: The Accounting Clerk will provide assistance with the program’s fiscal functions and human resources related tasks.
Essential Functions: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintenance of program’s inventory control records.
- Maintenance of chart of accounts and accounts payable system, including review and
payment of monthly invoices, lease and contract payments and other payables.
- Preparation of monthly and annual fund accounting.
- Back up for the Fiscal Manager (requires familiarity with software and various processes,
including preparation, transmission, disbursement and filing of biweekly payroll).
- Providing orientation to new staff on salary, benefits and internal policies and procedures
related to leave, training, and reimbursement requests.
- Responding to staff inquiries on salary, benefits and personnel policies and provide
information to staff on changes in benefits as needed.
- Serve as contact for group medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- Maintenance of fiscal files (accounts payable, paid invoices, receipts, taxes, payroll,
fiscal forms, etc.), human resources files (personnel, human resource materials, annual
reviews, etc.) and administrative files (leases, building issues, etc.).
- Providing assistance with grant applications, reports, visits, audits, and requests
Qualifications: Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in team environment. Exemplary data entry skills, plus a minimum of two (2) years formal accounting education courses or equivalent experience preferably with a system utilizing a fund based computerized accounting system. Bookkeeping certification preferred. Human Resources experience preferred. Computer proficiency required. Demonstrated concern for and sensitivity to low-income persons.
Opening/Closing Date: Closed when the position is filled.
Salary/Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience. Excellent fringe benefits. Flexible schedule not to exceed 20 hours per week.
Applications: To apply, submit letter of application, resume and names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to:
ATTN: Tracie Behr
Iowa Legal Aid
1111 Ninth Street, Suite 230
Des Moines, Iowa 50314-2527