Apply for Help from Iowa Legal Aid
Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
This information may help you before you apply:
- If you have already applied online with Iowa Legal Aid and have an open case, call 1-800-532-1503 and ask for the attorney assigned to your case.
- If you have a current case with Iowa Legal Aid and have a new issue, you should ask your attorney about this.
- If you were a client in the past but do not have an open case, you will need to apply for help. You can apply online or by phone.
Due to limited staff we can't help with all cases. We can't take these types of cases:
- We do not defend criminal charges - we do not advise or offer defense of current criminal charges, including traffic tickets. If it is a past case, you can apply to expunge it.
- Help with child support - whether you need it, are paying, or want to change it, please contact Iowa Child Support Recovery. You can read information on our website: Child Support Information. There are self-help forms to modify child support on the Iowa Courts website: Iowa Court Forms.
- Apply for SSI or Social Security Disability - the Social Security website has the applications: www.ssa.gov
- Wills and estate issues - we can only help seniors over age 60 with these issues.
- You can find attorneys for cases we are not taking on www.iowafindalawyer.com
Apply by Phone
- Apply by phone by calling 1-800-532-1275 Monday-Friday from 9 to 11 am or from 1:30 to 3:30 pm, except Thursday afternoon. Offices are open 8:30 to 4:30 (emergencies taken when open). Our offices are currently closed to the public due to the public health crisis.
- Iowans 60 and over may apply for help by calling the Legal Hotline for Older Iowans at 1-800-992-8161 Monday-Friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
Apply Online - Not all computers are secure. If you use a computer shared by others, they may be able to find out that you have connected to the Iowa Legal Aid web site. Close your browser when you have finished.
- If you have more than one legal problem, just apply once and tell us about the other problem when we speak to you.
- Our online application is not a form, it is an interview that asks questions to help you apply.
- Iowa Legal Aid staff will contact you as soon as we can by phone or we may send a letter to the address you give us.
- If you don't hear from us in 2 business days after you submit the online application, please call us at 1-800-532-1503 and ask for the person who contacts online applicants.
- Completing the application does not mean we have accepted you as a client.
- Click to apply online in English
- Habla Español? Haga clic aquí
Agency Referrals of Clients to Iowa Legal Aid
- Click here to refer your client to Iowa Legal Aid.
- You can use this interview to give us the information we need about the applicant and your information.