Apply for Help from Iowa Legal Aid
Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
This information may help you before you apply: Frequently Asked Questions About Getting Services from Iowa Legal Aid
- If you have already applied online with Iowa Legal Aid and have an open case, call 1-800-532-1503 and ask for the attorney assigned to your case.
- If you have a current case with Iowa Legal Aid and have a new issue, you should ask your attorney about this.
- If you were a client in the past, you can apply online or by phone.
New clients can apply online using the link below, or by phone.
- Apply by phone by calling 1-800-532-1275 Monday-Friday from 9 to 11 am or from 1:30 to 3:30 pm, except Thursday afternoon. Offices are open 8:30 to 4:30 (emergencies taken when open).
- Iowans 60 and over may call the Legal Hotline for Older Iowans at 1-800-992-8161 Monday-Friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
Apply Online - Not all computers are secure. If you use a computer shared by others, they may be able to find out that you have connected to the Iowa Legal Aid web site. Close your browser when you have finished.
- If you have more than one legal problem, just apply once and tell us about the other problem when we speak to you.
- Our online application is not a form, it is an interview that asks questions to help you apply.
- The online application uses Adobe Flash and doesn't work with most smart phones or tablets. or some web browsers. Google Chrome seems to work best.
- If the online program tells you to call Iowa Legal Aid, that means we need more information about your problem before you apply.
- Iowa Legal Aid staff will contact you as soon as we can by phone or we may send a letter to the address you give us.
- If you don't hear from us in 2 business days after you submit the online application, please call us at 1-800-532-1503 and ask for the person who contacts online applicants.
Agency Referrals of Clients to Iowa Legal Aid
- You can use this interview to give us the information we need about the applicant.
- Enter your name as the person helping the applicant, using your agency name as your middle name.
- Send us your email address and phone number in the notes at the end of the application.
- Click to apply online - when the program loads, you will see the picture below.