Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
Intake Paralegal Position
Position: Iowa Legal Aid is seeking to fill an intake paralegal opening in one of two possible locations - our regional offices in either Waterloo or Davenport.
Responsibilities: A legal assistant hired for this position will provide support and assistance to our staff attorneys as they provide free legal assistance and community legal education to low-income people. The specific duties of this job may include, but are not limited to:
Conduct initial client screening and/or intake including entry of Pika intake information, assessment of financial eligibility and conflict status, and formulating the nature of the client’s legal problem(s).
Conduct special intake tasks related to service to non-English speaking clients consistent with Iowa Legal Aid’s Limited English Proficiency policy.
Perform tasks related to the provision of legal services to clients under the direction and supervision of a licensed attorney.
- Work with other agencies to assist clients in being referred to Iowa Legal Aid and partner agencies for appropriate legal services.
- Coordinate and/or conduct outreach and community legal education.
- Provide support and assistance to staff and volunteer attorneys, including assisting with legal research, preparation of legal documents, and also clerical and reception work.
- Assist in the management of the office or unit’s case management systems.
- Serve as a representative of the office or unit in the community, or among client groups or agencies serving low-income individuals.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications: Candidates must have an associates or bachelor’s degree. A degree as a paralegal, have successfully completed legal education coursework that is the equivalent of a paralegal degree program, or recent professional experience working in the capacity of a paralegal is preferred but not required.
Opening/Closing Date: Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Salary/Benefits: Entry level salary is $30,047. Non-entry level salaries are dependent on experience. Excellent fringe benefits.
Applications: To apply, submit letter of application (indicate geographic restrictions), resume, academic transcripts, and names, addresses and phone numbers of at least three professional references to:ATTN: Arlys Kness Iowa Legal Aid 1111 Ninth Street, Suite 230 Des Moines, Iowa 50314-2527 email@example.com 515/243-2151