Iowa Legal Aid
Iowa Legal Aid provides high quality legal representation in civil cases to low-income Iowans through individual representation, impact litigation, and community legal education. Most of our cases involve domestic abuse, landlord/tenant issues, consumer protection, public benefits or individual rights. Iowa Legal Aid has received special funding to provide legal assistance to victims of the devastating August 2020 derecho.
Disaster Project Intern
Iowa Legal Aid is recruiting for a paid summer intern to help support our statewide Disaster Project.
Intern duties vary. They may include:
• Conducting regular onsite outreach to affected counties
• Conducting initial client screenings
• Maintaining information about disaster relief resources
• Monitoring and developing outreach materials
• Working with other agencies to help clients with referrals to Iowa Legal Aid and partner agencies for appropriate legal services
•Conducting legal research
• Performing tasks related to the provision of legal services to clients under the supervision of a licensed attorney.
Preference will be given to 2L students. Internships may be available in any of our 10 regional offices: Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City or Waterloo. Interns will be paid $20/hour.
Applications are due February 19, 2023. Email a cover letter, resume and a writing sample to Angela Broughton-Romain, Iowa Legal Aid, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your materials should indicate the specific Iowa Legal Aid office(s) where you would like to work. We hope to make summer internship offers prior to spring break.