Help With Phone Equipment for Iowans with a Hearing Disability

Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid


If you are an Iowan and have a hearing disability, you can get help with a special phone or other equipment to make it easier to talk or communicate by phone. This program is called "Telecommunications Access Iowa."

It pays 95% of the cost of amplified phones, special ringers, Text Telephones (TTYs) and other special telephone devices. To get help under this program, you must:

  • Be an Iowan;
  • Have telephone service;
  • Be over five (5) years old;
  • Need the equipment;
  • Have less than the following annual household income:
    • 1 person - $56,000
    • 2 persons - $65,000
    • Add $9,000 for each additional person.

If you think you qualify, you should contact "Telecommunication Access Iowa:" 

  • By Voice: Toll-free at (800) 606-5099
    or local in Des Moines at (515) 282-5099 or
  • By Videophone at: (515) 207-0776
  • By FAX at: 515-237-3917

Telecommunication Access Iowa will send you an application to fill out and return. If you qualify, they will send you a special voucher that will pay 95% of the cost of the equipment you need. Once you receive your voucher, you can contact a number of different Iowa or mail order dealers to order your equipment. Dealers can also help you choose the best phone or other equipment to meet your needs.

For more information, see the Telecommunication Access Iowa website at

Iowa Legal Aid provides help to low-income Iowans. 

To apply for help from Iowa Legal Aid:

  • Call 800-532-1275. 
  • Iowans age 60 and over, call 800-992-8161.
  • Apply online at

If Iowa Legal Aid cannot help, look for an attorney on “Find A Lawyer.”   A private attorney there can talk with you for a fee of $25 for 30 minutes of legal advice.

*As you read this information, remember this article is not a substitute for legal advice.

Last Review and Update: Nov 28, 2022
Back to top