Law Student Internships with Iowa Legal Aid
Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
Iowa Legal Aid Law Student Intern for Technology Intake Project
Iowa Legal Aid is looking for a legal intern to help us with our innovative projects using A2J Author Interviews to help clients apply for help, for agency staff to send a client referral to us and to help Iowa Legal Aid staff understand how to do intake for people who need help with legal problems.
- Help create an online agency referral system for Iowa Agencies to send client referrals to Iowa Legal Aid.
- Help revise the Iowa Legal Aid Online Intake Interview to be more user friendly and accessible.
- Help create an online training program for staff who take client applications for legal help.
- Helping clients, agency staff and Iowa Legal Aid staff understand legal terminology and types of legal problems.
- Help build systems that use plain language for data collection to avoid conflicts, establish financial eligibility and meet the specific criteria for different types of legal problems.
- Currently attending an ABA accredited law school.
- Good organizational and research skills.
- Skills in the use and / or development of technology tools.
- Experience in using Window- based computers and Microsoft Office 365.
- Able to work with people who focus on the needs of low-income, elderly, victims of domestic/sexual abuse, from other cultural and/or ethnic backgrounds and/or have disabilities.
- Bonus if you have experience in A2J Author
Training and Support:
- Intern will be trained on the use of A2J Author, Iowa Legal Aid’s computer and telephone systems as well as office equipment.
- Intern will receive support and supervision from Iowa Legal Aid attorneys.
- The time commitment will depend on the intern’s availability and Iowa Legal Aid’s needs. The internship will consist of summer work and limited work during the school year.
- The intern may be required to come into the office or could work from home.
- Iowa Legal Aid offices are located in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo.
- Paid internship
- Use technology in innovative ways to create bridges between non-profits and low-income persons and Iowa Legal Aid.
- Work with dedicated, passionate and collegial staff and AmeriCorps members.
- Positively impact members of your community.
- Iowa Legal Aid will work with students who desire to set up a formal internship for credit through their law school.
Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems that most dramatically affect Iowa’s poor and vulnerable populations. If you would like a meaningful, dynamic and professional internship using innovative technology to help these populations, please consider working for Iowa Legal Aid as a law student intern.
If you are interested in this intern position, please contact Scott Hartsook at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-532-1503 ext. 1660.
Iowa Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified applicants upon request