Position: Iowa Legal Aid is seeking to fill a paralegal opening that will focus on serving survivors of domestic/sexual violence. This position can be located in any of Iowa Legal Aid's regional offices (located in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Sioux City, Ottumwa or Waterloo). Responsibilities will focus on providing holistic services to survivors.
Responsibilities: A paralegal hired for this position will provide support and assistance to our staff attorneys as they provide free legal assistance and community legal education to low-income people. The specific duties of this job may include, but are not limited to:
Conducting initial client screening and/or intake including entry of data into ILA’s case management program, assessment of financial eligibility and conflict status, and formulating the nature of the client’s legal problem(s).
- Performing tasks related to the provision of legal services to clients under the direction and supervision of a licensed attorney.
- Working with other agencies to assist clients in being referred to Iowa Legal Aid and partner agencies for appropriate legal services.
- Coordinating and/or conducting outreach and community legal education.
- Providing support and assistance to staff and volunteer attorneys, including assisting with legal research, preparation of legal documents, and also clerical and reception work.
- Assisting in the management of case management systems.
- Serving as a representative of ILA in the community or among client groups or agencies serving low-income individuals.
- Advocacy before administrative agencies.
- Performing other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications: Candidates must have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree; preference will be given to applicants with a paralegal degree, and/or equivalent experience working as a paralegal. The ideal applicant will also have some or all of the following qualities:
- Background working with members of vulnerable populations, including those that are low-income, elderly, victims of domestic/sexual violence, people of color, and/or have disabilities
- Experience providing trauma-informed services
- Bi-lingual verbal and written communications skills in one of the languages used most by low-income Iowans, including Arabic, Bosnian, Spanish, Vietnamese.
Opening/Closing Date: Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Salary/Benefits: Current entry level salary is $31,517. Non-entry level salaries are dependent on relevant experience. Excellent fringe benefits.
To apply: To apply, email a letter of application (indicate geographic restrictions), resume, academic transcripts, and names, addresses and phone numbers of at least three professional references (external applicants only) to Frank Tenuta – firstname.lastname@example.org .