Position: Iowa Legal Aid seeks applicants for a paralegal position in its Central Iowa Regional Office located in Des Moines.
Responsibilities: A paralegal hired for this position will provide support and assistance to our staff attorneys as they provide free legal assistance and community legal education to low-income people. The specific duties of this job may include, but are not limited to:
Conducting initial client screening and/or intake including entry of data into ILA’s case management program, assessment of financial eligibility and conflict status, and formulating the nature of the client’s legal problem(s).
- Performing tasks related to the provision of legal services to clients under the direction and supervision of a licensed attorney.
- Working with other agencies to assist clients in being referred to Iowa Legal Aid and partner agencies for appropriate legal services.
- Coordinating and/or conducting outreach and community legal education.
- Providing support and assistance to staff and volunteer attorneys, including assisting with legal research, preparation of legal documents, and also clerical and reception work.
- Assisting in the management of case management systems.
- Serving as a representative of ILA in the community or among client groups or agencies serving low-income individuals.
- Advocacy before administrative agencies.
- Performing other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications: Candidates must have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree; preference will be given to applicants with a paralegal degree, and/or equivalent experience working as a paralegal. The ideal applicant will also have some or all of the following qualities:
- Background working with members of vulnerable populations, including those that are low-income, elderly, victims of domestic/sexual violence, people of color, and/or have disabilities
- Experience providing trauma-informed services
- Bi-lingual verbal and written communications skills in one of the languages used most by low-income Iowans, including Arabic, Bosnian, Spanish, Vietnamese.
Opening/Closing Date: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Salary/Benefits: Current entry level salary is $35,117. Non-entry level salaries are dependent on relevant experience. Excellent fringe benefits.
To apply: To apply, email a letter of application, resume, academic transcripts, and names, addresses and phone numbers of at least three professional references to Arlys Kness – firstname.lastname@example.org.