Paralegal - Legal Hotline for Older Iowans
Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid
This paralegal position will focus primarily on intake but may include other responsibilities based on needs and capabilities.
Responsibilities: A paralegal hired for this position will provide support and assistance to our Hotline staff as they offer free legal advice, brief service, and referrals to Iowans age 60 and older. The specific duties of this job may include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting initial client screening and/or intake including entry of Pika intake information, assessment of financial eligibility and conflict status, and formulating the nature of the client’s legal problem(s).
• Performing tasks related to the provision of legal services to clients under the direction and supervision of a licensed attorney.
• Assisting the managing attorney in overseeing and ensuring compliance with LSC regulations and grant requirements, including reporting.
• Monitoring and preparing requests for office supplies and outreach materials.
• Assisting in the orientation and training of new Hotline staff and volunteers.
• Working with other agencies to help clients with referrals to Iowa Legal Aid and partner agencies for appropriate legal services.
• Providing support to staff and volunteer attorneys, including helping with clerical work (scanning, copying, typing, filing, processing incoming and outgoing mail, etc.).
• Assisting in the management of our case management systems.
• Performing other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications: Candidates must have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, or equivalent paralegal experience. A paralegal degree, equivalent coursework, or recent work experience as a paralegal is preferred but not required.
Opening/Closing Date: Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Salary/Benefits: Entry level salary is $31,107. Non-entry level salaries are dependent on experience. Excellent fringe benefits.
To apply: Email letter of application, resume, academic transcripts, and contact information for at least three professional references to Angela Broughton-Romain – email@example.com.