- Read this in:
- Spanish / Español
What if I did not get my latest Social Security or SSI benefits?
- If you live in a disaster area, ask your local post office if it has your check.
- If your check is lost, call 1-800-772-1213 or go to your local Social Security District Office.
- You may also be able to talk with someone from Social Security at a disaster center.
Before the disaster, I expected to hear from Social Security. What happens if they sent a notice, and I didn't get it?
- Someone at Social Security may be able to give you a copy of the notice from off their computer. Go to one of their district offices.
- If you miss a deadline, Social Security will likely find that you had good cause for missing the deadline. You can still take steps to protect your right to a check.
· Iowa Legal Aid provides help to low-income Iowans.
· To apply for help from Iowa Legal Aid:
o call 800-532-1275
o Iowans age 60 and over, call 800-992-8161
o apply online at iowalegalaid.org
· If Iowa Legal Aid cannot help, you can look for an attorney on “Find A Lawyer” on the Iowa State Bar Association website – iowabar.org. A private attorney there can talk with you for a fee of $25 for 30 minutes of legal advice.