Tax Reduction for Low Income Iowans Owning Mobile Homes

Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid

There is no disability or elderly requirement for this benefit. 

Iowans over 23 years of age at the end of 2022 with annual income less than $25,328 may benefit from reduced taxes on a mobile or manufactured home.  The home must be located in a manufactured home community or mobile home park.  You must own the home and live in it.

Modular homes are not eligible for this program unless they are placed in a manufactured home community or mobile home park that was in existence on or before January 1, 1998. 

A claim for this reduced tax rate is filed with your county treasurer between January 1 and June 1 of 2023.  Contact your county treasurer for an application form or click here.  The treasurer may extend the filing deadline to September 30, 2023. The Director of Revenue may extend the filing deadline through December 31, 2023.

If you are paying lot rent, you may also apply for rent reimbursement. 

If your mobile home is not in a mobile home park and is being taxed as property, it is only eligible for property tax credit. You must be elderly (65-plus years) or have a disability to earn the property tax credit.

Iowa Legal Aid provides help to low-income Iowans. 

To apply for help from Iowa Legal Aid:

  • Call 800-532-1275.
  • Iowans age 60 and over, call 800-992-8161.
  • Apply online at
If Iowa Legal Aid cannot help, look for an attorney on “Find A Lawyer” on the Iowa State Bar Association website   A private attorney there can talk with you for a fee of $25 for 30 minutes of legal advice.
As you read this information, remember this article is not a substitute for legal advice.
Last Review and Update: Mar 07, 2023
Back to top