Urgent Assistance for Migrant Workers

Read this in: Spanish / Español
Authored By: Iowa Legal Aid


There may be immigration consequences to enrolling in a public benefits program.  If you or a family member is concerned about any risks of enrolling in public benefit programs, please contact Iowa Legal Aid for help analyzing your individual circumstances. 


If you or members of your family need urgent assistance, the following organizations may help you: 



  • DHS provides help through state funds during urgent situations of need connected with housing, nutrition, public utilities (light, gas, etc.) hospitalization, and funeral costs.  

  • To contact DHS call 1-877-937-3663. 



  • This is an organization that helps with health, food, education, and transportation services for migrant and seasonal workers.  

  • The number to call is 1-800-372-6031. 



  • This office has employees who can offer services to people who have recently moved to Iowa and are looking for work. The centers are designed to assist workers, businesses and the community with information, references to community services, job placement, translation, language classes, and assistance with relocations.   

  • To contact Iowa Workforce Development's Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker team call 515-725-4154.


Other care organizations 

Churches, food banks, the Red Cross, and the Salvation Army can help in urgent situations. The information for these organizations may be found on the internet or phone book. 


For humanitarian help in urgent situations 

Call 2-1-1 for help and local numbers in your community. Call 9-1-1 for the police, fire department, or an ambulance. 

Last Review and Update: Oct 26, 2022
Back to top