Welcome to Iowa
Iowa Legal Aid provides free legal assistance to people with civil legal problems. We have attorneys in ten regional offices that cover the entire state of Iowa.
Iowa Legal Aid provides assistance with civil (or non-criminal) legal problems including a broad range of topics. For example, some of the areas we can provide assistance with include:
- Housing problems (landlord-tenant problems, evictions, unsafe conditions)
- Family Law cases (domestic abuse protective orders, custody/ visitation/divorce, child support)
- Public Benefits (SSI and SSD, food stamps, FIP)
- Tax (Failure to file taxes, tax penalties, tax debt owed to IRS or state of Iowa, misclassification of filing status)
- Health Care (Medicaid, Medicare)
- Employment (unemployment benefits, wage claims, discrimination)
- Consumer (debt collection, utility shut-offs, scams)
- Education (special education)
- Individual Rights (access to services by those with disabilities, guardianships, conservatorships)
- Collateral consequences (expungement of criminal cases, court debt, license suspension)
As farmworkers, you may face unique challenges while working, from dangerous working conditions, such as heat and exhaustion, to not receiving proper pay or bonuses promised, to difficulty transferring food stamps from one state to another (like Texas to Iowa, for example). Iowa Legal Aid can help by providing legal assistance in these matters. Iowa Legal Aid staff travel around the state to speak with farmworkers about their legal rights.
If you have any questions or if you need legal assistance, you may call Iowa Legal Aid at 1-800-532-1275, hablamos español.